do I purchase my books online?
Purchase your course materials conveniently online with the Illini Union Bookstore! We will box your books free of charge and have them waiting for you by the week before classes start. You can look up your books by searching by clicking on the term, department, course and section for each class. When you check out, the online system will step you through the ordering process. You will need to create an online profile. Provide your book preference (new/used/rental/E-text), payment information and select if you’d like to pick up your books free of charge at the Illini Union Bookstore or have them shipped to your house for an additional shipping cost.
- **When looking at your textbook list, sometimes you will see "pick one" at the bottom of the text information. This means you will choose the format you like best from the options. You only need ONE version.**
- Visit our youtube page for a quick video. https://go.illinois.edu/shoptext
When will my online order be shipped?
Shipment of fulfilled orders for Summer 2022 will begin 5/9/22. Shipment of Fall 2022 will start 8/8/22.
- A valid credit card is required to finalize your order. Your credit card will not be charged until your order is fulfilled.
- Shipping prices reflect regular UPS ground rates. Expedited shipping requests (Next Day, 2-day, International, etc.) will incur higher shipping rates. NOTE: Expedited shipping requests are initiated at the time of order fulfillment, however, we do not ship on weekends & holidays.
When will my online order be ready?
Online textbook orders are processed 1-2 weeks before the start of each term. This allows us time to ensure that most, if not all, of your course books are available. For Summer 2022 courses, fulfillment of online textbook orders will begin on 5/9/22. For Fall 2022 courses, fulfillment will begin on 8/8/22. Orders take 72 hours for processing. You will receive an email once the order has been processed (charged).
Online textbook orders, once processed, will be available for pick up from the bookstore, starting May 9th (summer) and August 17 (fall). Check your email for location and hours.
your returns policy?
During the first ten days of a term (other than Summer), all books and course materials are fully returnable with your original receipt and in original condition. We cannot process a textbook return without the original receipt. For Summer semester, the deadline for returns is May 19, 2022. Fall deadline for returns is September 2nd. Rental returns are due December 19, 2022.
Will I get money back for all my books at
The Illini Union Bookstore buys books at several times during the year, and the best prices are generally paid during finals week, when we are buying the most books back for use at the University. For those titles, you’ll get the most money back: up to 50% of the new price, even if you bought it used—and the more of these we can buy from students, the more used books we can offer to students next term. When a book is not being used next term, we can offer the wholesale price, which is its national wholesale value—usually a smaller percentage of what you paid. You can conveniently check buyback prices anytime at our website.
Do you offer alternatives to buying my text
books and course materials?
Yes, we offer online and in-store text book rentals.
Many textbooks and course materials are available in different formats. We offer physical textbooks for sale, rental, and eBook digital texts. If there is more than one option available for a particular title, you will see those different options listed online. The intention is that you choose the one option that best fits your needs.
Other possible course materials include online access codes, course packets (created by the professor and sold in the bookstore), electronic media (iClicker2) and various supplies.
How do I get
my book list?
What if I need to cancel or change my online
When I am checking out online, the total is
higher than what I had expected. Have I been
What does it mean when I select “used preferred”
or “new preferred” for each title?
If you select “used preferred,” we will provide
a used copy whenever available, and only
a new copy (at new price) if we have no used copies. The
reverse is true if you select “new preferred.”
We do this so that we can fill your order
completely—and you have the option of returning
any books you don’t need or want within the
first two weeks of the term.
Do you accept financial aid as payment?
We cannot accept Financial Aid or bill your
account for textbook/bookstore purchases. We
accept all major credit cards, cash, check
(in-store only) and Illini Cash.
- Illini Cash: money on your i-card (through University Housing) more info: https://housing.illinois.edu/resources/illini-cash
- Special Charge: previously approved accounts for DORS, DRES, DCFS, VA, DIA Athletes
- Department Charge: authorized University dept--enter your CFOPAL (Banner acct) number
- Illinois Promise: use "Special Charge" tender; previously approved scholarship more info: https://ipromise.illinois.edu/whats-i-promise